Family stops fire with pool water
A Bryceville man used water from his swimming pool to extinguish a fire in his home’s garage Nov. 23.
The fire that erupted in the garage just before 8 p.m. at 2305 County Road 119 likely started from a “cordless battery charger that malfunctioned,” according to a Nassau County Fire Rescue incident report.
James Allen was listed as the person who interacted with emergency responders.
According to the incident report, Battalion 2 arrived to find “nothing showing from exterior of residence. Crews from Engine 60 reported that the fire was out and the house had smoke in it.”
The homeowner managed to contain the fire to the garage and the “house was ventilated until smoke was no longer present,” the incident report noted.
All responding units except Station 90 personnel were cancelled. Emergency responders worked to “ventilate house via positive pressure ventilation and attic and wall or area of origin was searched for extension,” according to the incident report.
No one was seriously injured in the blaze. Damage to property and contents was approximately $10,000.
Athena Allen shared an update about the fire via Facebook Sunday morning.
“Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers about our home. I am so thankful that the guys were able to get it out with buckets of water from the pool before the fire department got here. Bo has a few burns on his arms from it, but thankfully they are minor.”
She continued, “Our entire home smells like smoke, there is lots of smoke damage, just about everything. The roof, my house garage and most of the ceilings, the carpet – all will have to be replaced. I am not sure what else, but we are blessed. The devil can get away from here, as we are too blessed to be stressed. I have a call into the insurance company to get an agent out here to get started in this process, but my family is OK, and that’s what matters to us. I can’t think of anything that we need but prayers. Keep those coming please.”